Wednesday, January 11, 2023

MY 2022 IN REVIEW


 Looking back on 2022 I realize, with surprise, it had already been twenty years since I graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Zagreb (2002)! And I can only reflect upon this journey of artistic practice as being always deeply meaningful and fulfilling; I have been so privileged to create freely, with all the passion and joy, the kind of (art)work that feeds my soul and fulfills my being. And, to quote here Mary Cassatt: "I have had a joy from which no one can rob me - I have been able to touch some people with my art."

For me 2022 started with a local solo exhibition "Inner Wanderings", the inaugural exhibition of the newly-opened Geneva Center for the Arts, here in Geneva, Illinois.  "Inner Wanderings" included works from my "Reef" and "Origin" series, as well as my "Gathering" ceramics.


 During spring I was mainly involved with the preparations for the "Casting Currents" exhibition at Walker Fine Arts in Denver. I was excited to create three large scale "Reef" watercolors for the gallery's focal two-story wall where these teal-blue-green watercolors had truly basked in the light.  I also exhibited there three "Wondrous Reef" mixed media panels, and, thanks to the amazing Walker gallery team, several of these works soon found their permanent homes.


In March I was invited by the Fibre Arts Take Two to be their Friday Feature Artist. Fibre Arts Take Two hails from Australia, and is a great online art resource that provides beautifully filmed online art courses. Thank you Angela Truscott and Tara Axford for this lovely  interview and wonderful presentation of my work! Here is the link to the article that includes the video/interview.

The first day of summer was marked by our long awaited family trip to our homeland, Croatia.  This trip was in the making for several years, and just as it was about to happen - it was stopped short due to the COVID -19 pandemic. Finally, this was the summer for our Croatia/Slovenia trip, and what a trip it was!


As most of my initial art ideas have a strong tie to my childhood memories, this trip, naturally, gave me access to so many of the reminiscences; sights, sounds, and tastes - all my senses were wide awake, soaking it all in!


I know these impressions will generate many new sparks for my future work.

Once I was back in the States, my focus quickly shifted towards the concept for my part of the exhibition at Schingoethe Center of Aurora University. I mentioned more about this large scale exhibition that was on view for three months, and to read more about it - check out my previous post!


Lastly, in December one of the works from my "En Passant" series (initiated during the COVID-19 pandemic) was acquired by a renowned collector and philanthropist Agnes Gund and joined her extensive art collection. What an honor and such a meaningful highlight of my 2022!

"En Passant", W-2021-1-16. 30"x22", watercolor, graphite and burn marks on paper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home